What is a Computer Virus?
- A computer virus also knows as Malware is a computer program that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another. Once in your computer viruses can damage data, destroy files, format hard drives or make disks unreadable along with many other unwanted issues.
How are Virus’s Spread?Through E-mail Attachments
- Sharing of Infected Files
- Installing Malicious Software Programs
- Infected USB Sticks, External Hard drives, and CD’s
- Downloading on the internet
Best ways I can avoid getting a Virus?
- Never open e-mail attachments or click on hyperlinks from unknown senders (think before you click)
- If you have an e-mail attachment you are unsure of, run a virus scan of the item before opening
- Do not download items from untrusted websites – if you are not sure ask IT Support
- Do not plug USB sticks or insert CD’s you are unfamiliar with into your computer
- Avoid browsing non work-related websites
How Can I Keep my personal and work data safe from hackers and viruses?
- Follow the steps above
- Always use strong passwords that are hard to guess
- Don’t use the same password for all your accounts
- Avoid using “free Wi-Fi” such as at the airport, Starbucks, mall, etc. – Use your cellular data instead. This is especially important when accessing work related content
- Keep your personal information safe: Do not overshare personal information or sensitive work information on your social media platforms
- Make sure you have some type of locking/password feature on your mobile phone and portable computer, especially if it has access to work related content
- Lock your computer when you are not at your desk! CTRL+ALT+DELETE – then select lock
We can ensure that your company’s information is safe. If you want to know more about our services contact us today